Welcome to the Goondi State School website.
Goondi State School is a Prep to Year 6 primary school, situated in Innisfail in the heart of the beautiful Cassowary Coast. We have a wonderful blend of town and country children. Our students are drawn from residential suburbs, small acreage properties and extensive banana and cane farms.
Goondi State School is held in high regard by the Innisfail community and we are immensely proud of the standard of education we provide for our students. Much of our success is attributable to the following school qualities.
• A strong focus on literacy and numeracy delivered through highly structured English and Mathematics programs that ensure our students have the necessary skills to participate in all aspects of learning.
• The use of high-yield research-based teaching methods such as Explicit Teaching and Direct Instruction coupled with regular, daily consolidation episodes.
• Relevant, interesting and engaging curriculum units that broaden our students' experiences in Science, Technology, Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS), HPE and The Arts.
• Genuine integration of IT into units of work and a commitment to keep pace with interactive technologies.
• A hold on traditional values such as high expectations, strong discipline, respect, and pride in our school.
• A team approach to planning curriculum and teaching to ensure consistency in what is being taught and the standards expected.
In terms of facilities, our grounds are the envy of many. With five hectares of ovals and playing fields, we place a strong emphasis on developing physical fitness and skills in our students through daily endurance running, specialist HPE lessons and regular inter-house and inter-school sporting fixtures.
Music also plays an important role in our overall curriculum and the school has an extensive instrumental music program (woodwind, strings and percussion) and senior and junior choirs.
Our school motto is "Dare To Do Well" and this is reflected in all aspects of our school with staff consistently aiming towards best practice and students striving to be the best that they can be.
Parents are encouraged to become actively involved in the school by becoming part of our dedicated P&C Association. Our P&C work hard to ensure students are given the best possible school experience through providing input to school decisions, raising funds to acquire additional resources and extra-curricula events organisation.
As principal of the school, I am privileged to be part of such a quality learning community and I invite you to share in what we do by exploring our website and Facebook pages.